The Super Bowl is watched by almost 1/3 of America. It’s safe to say, it’s huge. But it wasn’t always that way. Here are a few stats that show how much the game has changed on, and off the field since the first game way back in 1967.
- 1967-The Green Bay Packers played the Kansas City Chief
- 1967- Packers players received a $15,000 bonus for winning the Super Bowl
- 1967- A commercial sold for around $45,000 during the game
- 1967- NFL jerseys only had numbers and logos on them
- 1967- The Big Game was called the World Championship Game
- 1967- 61,946 were in the stadium for the first game (a non-sell out crowd)
- 2015- We can only predict who will be in this season’s Super Bowl
- 2015- Seahawks received $97,000 for winning the game
- 2015-Each commercial cost around $4.5 million
- 2015- Players wear names on back of jerseys and NFL merchandise made $2.1 billion
- 2015- For the first time, the Super Bowl won’t have Roman Numerals
- 2015 – 70,288 people attended the Big Game in the stadium
If those statistics aren’t enough, here’s some stats on all the food we eat at all those tailgate parties.
- According to the Snack Food Administration, Americans will eat 11 million pounds of chips on Super Bowl Sunday
- More than half of Americans plan to eat pizza.
- 2 million cases of beer will be sold (or around 385 gallons)
- We’ll also eat more than 80 million pounds of avocados
The first Super Bowl took place in 1967 between the Green Bay Packers and the Kansas City Chiefs. The Packers won 35-10. This year’s Super Bowl could very well have see the Packers again. 1967 saw a different style of football, but the greatness of the game remains.
Come watch the Big Game, the Golden Anniversary Game, with us in San Francisco. We’ve got Super Bowl 50 travel packages, Super Bowl parties, Super Bowl tickets, and a Players Super Bowl Tailgate that includes NFL players. We’re going to have a great time celebrating history.