The Super Bowl is watched by almost 1/3 of America. It’s safe to say, it’s huge. But it wasn’t always that way. Here are a few stats that show how much the game has changed on, and off the field since the first game way back in 1967.
- 1967-The Green Bay Packers played the Kansas City Chief
- 1967- Packers players received a $15,000 bonus for winning the Super Bowl
- 1967- A commercial sold for around $45,000 during the game
- 1967- NFL jerseys only had numbers and logos on them
- 1967- The Big Game was called the World Championship Game
- 1967- 61,946 were in the stadium for the first game (a non-sell out crowd)
- 2015- We can only predict who will be in this season’s Super Bowl
- 2015- Seahawks received $97,000 for winning the game
- 2015-Each commercial cost around $4.5 million
- 2015- Players wear names on back of jerseys and NFL merchandise made $2.1 billion
- 2015- For the first time, the Super Bowl won’t have Roman Numerals
- 2015 – 70,288 people attended the Big Game in the stadium
If those statistics aren’t enough, here’s some stats on all the food we eat at all those tailgate parties.
- According to the Snack Food Administration, Americans will eat 11 million pounds of chips on Super Bowl Sunday
- More than half of Americans plan to eat pizza.
- 2 million cases of beer will be sold (or around 385 gallons)
- We’ll also eat more than 80 million pounds of avocados